Sunday, November 26, 2006

Uncle Tupelo/No Alternative

I was introduced to the band Uncle Tupelo through the CD No Alternative, a benefit CD for some aids charity. I bought the album in the midst of my R.E.M. crazy because Pavement had contributed the track The Unseen Power of the Picket Fence, a song about R.E.M. The disc was packed with some of the biggest "college radio" bands of the time(was anyone using the term indie) like Mathew Sweet, Buffalo Tom, Soundgarden, American Music Club, Dinosaur Jr, Urge Overkill etc. It also contains what would become my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song of all time, Glynis. Anyway Uncle Tupelo has a great tune called Effigy on the compilation that became one of my favorite songs on the disc. Why i didn't immediately go out and buy every Uncle Tupelo album i could find is one of those things i can't quite remember. By the time i followed up on the sound that made Effigy so great i was fully aware that the band had broken up and so i ended up buying SonVolt's Trace and later Wilco's AM. I'm sure there is a musical moral to the story but I'll skip it and leave you with a couple of MP3's from it.
Download - Uncle Tupelo - Effigy
Download - Pavement - Unseen Power of the Picket Fence
Download - The Smashing Pumpkins - Glynis

2 comments:

Flatlander said...

I had a similar experience. I liked the UT tune but didn't pick up anything else from them for a few years. Not sure why but at least I know I wasn't alone in that thought (or lack of thought).

OKRyan said...

because you don't like music