Friday, December 01, 2006

Ron Sexsmith


Ron Sexsmith isn't going to burn through the blogosphere like fellow Canadians The Arcade Fire(I know Win isn't Canadian but still) or revolutionize rock and roll but he can write one hell of a melodic pop gem. I've been listening to his latest album Time Being quite a bit lately. His voice has that melancholy quality to it that makes even his upbeat songs sound just a little bit sad(Ship of Fools illustrates this pretty well).
I don't know if this is something that most people enjoy in their pop music but i love it. In fact some of my favorite songs are borderline depressing, does this mean I'm a depressed person or am i so happy i need depressing music to regulate my overall disposition? But i digress.
Most of the songs on it are pretty simple pieces featuring his voice and acoustic guitar, a format we've all heard a hundred times but he does it sooo well. Check him out if you get the chance, he's based in Toronto but maybe he'll swing through Vermont sometime soon.
Download -Ron Sexsmith - Snow Angel
Download - Ron Sexsmith - Ship of Fools
edit - Obviously I've been reading too much Chuck Klosterman lately, sorry.

No comments: